Saturday, June 12, 2010

Morning Calm

Ahem, yes, as I'm sure you can imagine, it wasn't quite like that the morning we left. Despite my best efforts, I didn't get Rob's suit finished and am now relying on Nikki and others to take up where I left off. I was still sewing when the wake up alarm went.  

Obvious, I know, but I'm always fascinated by the way an airline can get such a sense of their country into a fairly generic can, crammed sardine like with people from all over the world, with only the air crew to achieve it. From the moment we checked in there was a sense of peace and tranquillity that gently settled over us all; it was so fitting to finally collapse into the seat and pull out the in-flight magazine... just another gentle reminder pour moi. The attention to detail; everything is covered, anticipated and beautifully exemplified in the Air Hostess' uniform. Focusing on sewing all week, I couldn't take my eyes off the double darts, curved detail and immaculate stitching on the finest man-made polyester with the stiffest looking scarf bow I have ever seen. Figured they had another hiding somewhere attached to that one as their secret weapon numchucks. Would have inflicted major damage I am sure. The hair ribbon would be a match for any terrorist.  

Incheon - “ interesting, calm, future city” - the translations are hilarious. Everywhere we went the signage was so particularly descriptive and the wording very quaint to our interpretation. “Future City” definitely – George and Jane live just around the corner. Order is paramount, our progress through the airport quiet and civilised. The spaces are so enormous, inside and out, that we are totally unaware of the huge numbers of people and vehicles around; we're dwarfed by the buildings and the sky. Process through customs an extension of the service in the aircraft; take multi planeloads of people and put them on the other side of the border, no fuss, no hurry, completed in a flash... next ones....


No comments: