Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Catch Up Time

We've come a long way, a long way from where I last left off, so it's time to catch up a little. Internet connection has been possible, but not convenient, on the ferries, and we've travelled a few of those lately.  The small places that we've chosen to stay have also had some internet facilities, but like Sucuraj over the last few days, not especially convenient either. The only connection I found easily was in the Tourist Information office, a walk into the village in the hot sun (vs a swim in the crystal clear and warm Adriatic), which appeared to be manned during hours that suited, rather than those stated on the door.  When they were there they were very helpful and friendly but connection required a wait in the queue for the only computer - pressure on! The most unnerving thing I found, sitting there at the keyboard, was the people coming in and conversing with the staff member in language I couldn't understand. I didn't know whether they were asking where the Post Office was or when that lady would stop hogging the computer. Made me feel quite uncomfortable and my typing became snail's pace and mistake ridden as I tried to hurry up in case it was the latter.

It's amazing how reliant we've become on technology. There is a very big part of me that would like to adopt/return to a hippie lifestyle (yes kids, I know...) but I would find it very difficult to go off the grid altogether.  I would also like the airlines to consider the modern necessity for existence with electronic gear and give an extra baggage allowance for the cable and battery charger bag at least, if not the laptop, the camera, the phones, hair straighteners, and the portable drives.  I don't have many clothes but I'm still dangerously close to bursting through the excess baggage barrier; especially after indulging my need for more reading material...

So, being halfway across the world, seeing and experiencing things we never have before and may not get back to again, we've lately concentrated on living it instead of writing/recording.

As I said, time to catch up... Mark's watching the football.

1 comment:

Jute said...

Mother sounds like you and Marcus are having an awesome time and getting right in amoungst the culture which is sooo cool. Love your cooking stint!

The bonous of not blogging about everything all the time is that you will return home with lots to tell us about. Glad you are taking the time to be a bit computer free!

xxx
love ya